Call for Art - Themed Exhibit: Mythology
Posted: Jan 03, 2020
Call for Art – Themed Exhibit: Mythology
GALA Galleries At LynnArts | 25 Exchange St, Lynn, MA 01901
Theme / Media: Mythology is full of tales which are intended to teach a lesson, explain the many mysteries of life, phenomenon in nature or describe the customs, institutions, or religious rites of a people. Here we are, in the 21st century, and many of us still enjoy mythological tales. Mythological references can still be found in our discussions about
science, art and literature…everywhere you turn, there is likely to be a reference to Mythology. What does it teach us? How did Mythology became modern? Where does it show up in your life? How will you retell a myth with your art? How has it influenced you as an artist? Is it a movie you watched, a video games you played, a book, comics or graphic novels
you read; that Nike shoe you wear which was named after the greek goddess of “Victory” or is it the Olympic Games you wait to see every four years? Follow in the footsteps of ancient storytellers by sharing your own narratives about making sense of the world around us. We are looking for all types of artworks provided they explore mythology in some capacity
and all media. (Photography, painting, graphics, sculpture, videography*, etc.)
* Video artists selected for the exhibit need to provide the equipment to display their work.
● Work should have been completed in the last 2 years.
● Up to 3 pieces of art may be submitted. All works will be considered by the curating committee.
● Size limitations: 7’x7’ and up to 50 lbs.
● Artwork must be ready to be installed. Hanging artwork should be framed or sides appropriately finished.
Hanging method is gallery style with wire – no saw teeth. There are a limited number of pedestals available so if
you will require one, please discuss your needs at drop off.
● Form with Artist Information must be attached to the back of artwork.
● The first two pieces that you submit should be $300 or under and the 3
rd piece may be any price. Please note
that artwork must be for sale. We will not accept artwork with the label of NFS (Not For Sale) for this show.
● Artist’s statement and images of your submitted works should be emailed to email@example.com.
Statements will be included in our artists’ statement / bio binder. Images will be used for social media
marketing with artist credit always included.
● Business cards if you would like them displayed during the show.
● Exhibit fee of $20.00 (nonmember) / $5.00 (member) to be paid by cash, check or money order for up to 3
pieces. Make check or money order payable to GALA.
● Drop off your work in person on one of the following dates to have it juried:
Thursday, February 6th, 3:00pm – 6:00pm
Friday, February 7th, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Saturday, February 8th, 11:00am-5:00pm or by appointment
● Artists whose work is not accepted will be contacted on Wednesday, February 12th, 2020 and the work will need
to be picked up by Saturday, February 15, 2020.
● Opening Reception: Friday, February 21st, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
● We’d love if you can bring an hors d’oeuvre or dessert and share your cooking talents too!
● Exhibit ends: Wednesday, March 25th. Work to be picked up during gallery hours or by appointment.
Publicity: The Galleries At LynnArts will promote the exhibition through its website, mailing lists, traditional media and
social media regularly throughout the duration of the exhibit.
Sales: GALA staff will oversee the sale of art. GALA receives 30% commission on sold items. GALA members pay a
discounted commission of 25% on sales. All artwork must remain at GALA until the exhibit ends. Payment to artists for
sold work will be made within 45 business days of the end of the exhibit.
Contact: Annette Sykes – Gallery Director, GALA President, 617-909-9211, firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is supported in part by a grant from the Lynn Cultural Council, a local agency
which is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency