Call for Art – Themed Exhibit: Layers
GALA Galleries At LynnArts 25 Exchange St, Lynn, MA 01901
Theme / Media:
This show is in conjunction with a Rubbish to Runway fashion show. We want to explore those materials that are acceptable for clothing: cotton, polyester, wool, etc. and those that are not traditionally used such as plastic, metal, and wood fibers. Works may be created in a traditional fiber art manner (quilting, embroidery, knitting, etc) or in a new, reimagined method to use these materials. The use may be contemporary or traditional, but we welcome all innovative works created with fiber as the primary medium.Palimpsest
Definition of palimpsest
1: writing material (such as a parchment or tablet) used one or more times after earlier writing has been erased
2: something having usually diverse layers or aspects apparent beneath the surface
Layers can be chaotic. A beautiful embroidery can be hiding unseen layers under the fabric. Layers of meaning may be worked into a piece, both obvious and secret. There is the layer that pulls the viewer in and the layer that may repel. Peel back the layers or add more on.
● Up to 3 pieces of art completed in the last 2 years may be submitted. All works will be juried..
● Size limitations: 7’x7’ and up to 50 lbs.
● Artwork must be ready to be installed, arriving prepared to be hung in a professional, clean, and secure manner.
There are a limited number of pedestals available. Please discuss your needs at drop off.
● Form with Artist Information must be attached to the back of artwork.
● The first two pieces that you submit should be $300 or under and the 3
rd piece may be any price.
● Artist’s statement and images of your submitted works should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Business cards if you would like them displayed during the show.
● Exhibit fee of $20.00 (nonmember) / $5.00 (member) to be paid by cash, check or money order for up to 3 pieces. Make check or money order payable to GALA.
Timeline: Drop off your work in person on one of the following dates (or make an appointment) to have it juried:
Thursday, January 9, 2020 3:00pm – 6:00pm
Friday, January 10, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Saturday, January 11, 11:00am-5:00pm
Artists whose work is not accepted will be contacted on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 and the work will need to be
picked up by Friday, January 17, 2020.
● Opening Reception: Friday, January 17, 2020 5:30pm – 8:30pm
We’d love if you can bring an hors d’oeuvre or dessert and share your cooking talents too!
● Exhibit ends: Saturday, February 15. Work to be picked up between 11:00am-5:00pm, unless alternate
Publicity: The Galleries At LynnArts will promote the exhibition through its website, mailing lists, traditional media and social media regularly throughout the duration of the exhibit.
Sales: GALA staff will oversee the sale of art. GALA receives 30% commission on sold items. GALA members pay a discounted commission of 25% on sales. All artwork must remain at GALA until the exhibit ends. Payment to artists will be made within 45 business days of the end of the exhibit.
Contact: Annette Sykes – Gallery Director, GALA President 617-909-9211 email@example.com
This program is supported in part by a grant from the Lynn Cultural Council, a local
agency which is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency
Artist Information form for GALA submission