Named for the sycamore or “buttonwood” trees planted on the property in the early 1740s, the Buttonwoods Museum is situated in the middle of hundreds of years of Haverhill and Merrimack Valley history. The historic structures preserved by the Museum are the 1710 John Ward House, the 1814 Duncan House, and the 1859 Daniel Hunkins Shoe Shop. Collections on display in the historic properties and the permament exhibit hall include domestic objects, decorative arts, textiles, furnishings, military artifacts, shoes, archaeological artifacts from the Frederick A. Luce Collection, and items from the [Supreme Court Justice William] Moody Collection. The Museum hosts a rotating selection of temporary exhibits relating to Greater Haverhill history and culture during the season (May-Oct) and runs programs and events for children and adults year round.
The Buttonwoods Museum is also a designated Essex National Heritage Area Visitor Center offering information to residents and tourists about the city and the region beyond.