We are a group of artists and crafts people who have been formally established since 1965. Originally called The Studio Group, we painted at the old Putnamville School until we grew in numbers to now over 200 members and changed our name to the Danvers Art Association. We have been exhibiting paintings at the Peabody Institute Library, Danvers and at the Maple Street Congregational Church, because we have not had a permanent home for years.
When the Town of Danvers condemned to be torn down the old, unused Williams School on Elliot Street (Route 62), the Danvers Art Association put in a bid for the building. The Town awarded us a lease for the school if we could restore it to its appearance at the turn of the century. We were delighted to attempt this!
Inherent in the aesthetics of this building’s design is an essential beauty and structural soundness, which make it a candidate to be one of the most significant structures in Danvers. Designed by architect Lester C. Couch, construction was completed in 1916. Mr. Couch also designed the beautiful Peabody Institute Library in Danvers and the original section of the Danvers Savings Bank.
The Williams School was named for Mildred Williams, a beloved teacher there for many years. This is the only building in Danvers to carry the name of a woman.
We, the Danvers Art Association have restored the building to its original beauty. We need contributions from those who have an interest in promoting the arts in the greater Danvers area, a